Body Image Bondage

Monday, October 18, 2010


But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.” 1Samuel 16:7
I hate this four letter word. Having always struggled with managing my weight and keeping a healthy body image, I am constantly trying to figure out how to control this area of my life. I have always had a semi-unhealthy relationship with food and finding balance is key to being healthy and happy. I love to bake and cook, so it is such a joy for me to prepare things and then eat them! I also realize that I do sometimes turn to food instead of turning to prayer. When I am stressed, I love comfort food and put my comfort into food rather than into healthier alternatives. I am also not one who loves exercise. I blogged earlier today that I started an exercise schedule, and I am so happy to drop these 10-15 pounds I am carrying around, but most importantly, I am ready to begin to look at myself the way that God wants me to. I am sick of living life hating myself for eating and being too depressed to start to take care of myself with exercise. After having a great conversation with my sister-in-law today, I decided to eat in moderation and exercise in moderation as well. We watched a great Beth Moore clip addressing body image and balance which you can watch here. We women have to love ourselves and not drive ourselves crazy not being able to eat, or counting every single calorie that goes in our mouth obsessively. Giving into every desire is wrong too, we cant destroy our bodies with excessive calories and not lifting a finger with exercise. I truly believe if you are physically unfit, you are not reaching your spiritual fitness potential. Adopting a healthy lifestyle also helps to live our the spirit of self control. We have to eat what we want in moderation and take care of ourselves at the same time. Live a little, eat your favorite treat once in a while. Don't completely deprive yourself, but also take care of yourself... it's all about balance. In college i lost 20 pounds by diligently exercising and I leaned on the Lord when I was struggling with eating well. By the way, I think the easiest thing you can do to improve your healthy is eat unprocessed. We really cut back on processed foods in out home... organic chicken, nothing in a box like pastaroni, and I make things from scratch to substitute nasty alternatives when I can (like whipping my own cream rather than eating chemically cool whip) So stop getting on these nasty diet kicks, and love yourself while still taking care of your body. 

Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20.    






No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger